Topic: FMC150App.exe on ZC706  (Read 10508 times)

Juergen October 27, 2013, 01:54 PM

Hello
I am trying to run FMC150App.exe on ZC706 and stuck at the last step.
After downloading the bitstream and running the Zynq-SW from within SDK, I am able to connect the ZC706 board via TCP to the host. I can also ping ZC706 from the host, see picture below. (Note: As can be seen in the picture, the .elf file is called zc702_host_if.elf although I am on ZC706 because the Eclipse-project  in the provided star_lib folder ...\Firmware\Extracted\395_zc706_fmc150\star_lib\sip_zc706_host_if\EDK\zc706\sw\ is called zc702_host_if. I am not sure wether this is just a copy/paste-error or part of the problem.)
However, when I run "FMC150APP.exe 2 192.168.1.10 1000 0" from the command line, the Zynq-SW continously outputs a waiting-message on the terminal and after some time the application Exits with an error message, see pictures. 
Could you give me a hint what the Problem could be?
Thanks a lot,
Juergen

arnaudNL October 28, 2013, 05:48 AM (#1)

• 4DSP Staff (EU)
  • Administrator
Dear Juergen,

If I understand correctly, you are trying to recompile the firmware and run the software from XIlinx SDK. I have been looking into the issue and there is a small issue in the software. You need to comment out some lines in sip.c, function accept_callback().

Place a #if 0 before /* send exit request */ and a #endif before /* reinit ll fifos */

Code: [Select]

#if 0
/* send exit request */
g_exitdone = 0;
g_exitreq = 1;

/* wait for stack (and its call back to be ready */
while(!g_exitdone) {
xil_printf("Waiting system to be read prior connecting, ...\r\n");
}
#endif

/* reinit ll fifos */
XLlFifo_Initialize(&g_instfifo, XPAR_AXI_FIFO_MM_S_0_BASEADDR);

The software is same between all zedboard (ZC702, ZC706 and Zedboard) besides a print difference.

This should get you going, please report back.

As a first confidence test, can you try to run the reference design (precompiled software and firmware) as per the 4FM Get Started Guide, this the way our engineer worked on that. I know my name is in the source code but I haven't worked on ZC706, I designed the ZC702 firmware/software which was reused by other engineers after.

Best Regards,
Arnaud

Juergen October 28, 2013, 04:07 PM (#2)

Dear Arnaud

I did two things: I used the precompiled SW/FW and the re-compiled SW/FW with the modification you suggested. Both ways are working! Thank you very much!

One follow-up question:
Without cooling, I saw the temperature of the FMC150 climb up to 55 degC (before switching off). Can you give me a raw indication what a save temperature threshold would be in order to stay clear of overheating? Since the AMC7823 uses an on-chip sensor, I assume that one should not get too close to the max. operating condition of ADC/DAC chips with this temperature reading. I would just like to know this to see if my current cooling solution would suffice.

Best regards,
Juergen

arnaudNL October 29, 2013, 05:23 AM (#3)

• 4DSP Staff (EU)
  • Administrator
Dear Juergen,

Thanks for the feedback.

As far as temperatures is concerned, we don't have much guidelines. Initially, FMC board are meant to be used in a conduction cooled environment. The FMC150 is not getting that hot, it should be easy to cool it down, 55C seems perfectly fine to me.

Best Regards,
Arnaud

Juergen October 31, 2013, 03:30 PM (#4)

Dear Arnoud

One more question related to FMC150 on ZC706:
I saw that the FMC Analyzer application currently does not support that combination of FMC/carrier card. Is that soemthing that would be supported in the (near) future?

Thank you,
Juergen

arnaudNL November 01, 2013, 08:06 AM (#5)

• 4DSP Staff (EU)
  • Administrator
Dear Juergen,

it is not planned no. I am going to place the request to the engineer working on the project. I will keep you updated, feel free to remind me if you don't see this moving forward.

We do not have any ZC706 so we might need you to test it!

Best Regards,
Arnaud

Juergen November 01, 2013, 11:34 AM (#6)

..okay, thank you. I will be happy to test it.
Juergen

arnaudNL November 01, 2013, 11:47 AM (#7)

• 4DSP Staff (EU)
  • Administrator
Hello Juergen,

I asserted that with my colleague, it will be done shortly but I am not able to tell you when!

Have a good week-end! Eat some leckerli for me :); I grew up in a city called Nyon between Lausanne and Geneva, there is a big festival in summer, you probably heard about it. I am now based between Amsterdam and Rotterdam, also in a small city!

Arnaud

Juergen November 01, 2013, 12:17 PM (#8)

Hi Arnaud

...so cool. Unfortunately I dont speak any French. I grew up in Germany and before I came to Switzerland in 1997 I also worked for two years in Holland, in Nijmegen. Small world...

Have a nice weekend too,
Juergen

Juergen November 07, 2013, 07:55 AM (#9)

Dear Arnaud

May I ask about the status of the FMC Analyzer for ZC706? (sorry for being impatient…)

I also have a question regarding the VCXO used on the FMC150. Currently, I have two boards with the standard VS-705-491.51. However, I saw that in the application source code a define for the VS-705-800.00 exists. This frequency would actually fit our needs much better (we are targeting sample rates of 100 and/or 200 MSps) but at the time of ordering I was not aware that this option exists. Originally I thought I would use an external clock source to get the 100/200 MSps, but the VS-705-800.00 would be a more clever solution. Now my questions are:

• Does 4DSP offer FMC150 with VS-705-800.00?
  • Does the existing reference design support  VS-705-800.00 (of course with the correct CDCE register configuration)?
  • Are there other HW modifications necessary than changing the VCXO on the FMC150 board? (I know that this would void the warranty, but I still would consider doing it if we had the correct parts.)
Thanks a lot for your help,
Juergen

arnaudNL November 07, 2013, 08:29 AM (#10)

• 4DSP Staff (EU)
  • Administrator
Hello Juergen,

There was some discussion between the engineer and I, it looks like his has been adding FMC30RF on Zedboard/ZC702 probably because he has the test vectors handy.

I will ask him to provide you with a precompiled version with FMC150 ZC706 so you can test it. He is based in Austin so if you are lucky something tomorrow.

As far as the VCO is concerned, the FMC150 does support other VCO types indeed. You can check fmc150_clocktree.cpp, function fmc150_clocktree_init(), it has settings for many different VCO components.

The board can probably be changed to 800MHz but the manipulation should be carried on by us.

Best Regards,
Arnaud

Juergen November 15, 2013, 05:20 AM (#11)

Hi Arnaud

I haven't heard anything regarding SW for ZC706 from your colleague yet. Could you please ask him again what the status is? The FMC Analyzer would be very helpful fur us in setting up our AFE processing chain.

Thanks a lot,
Juergen

arnaudNL November 15, 2013, 07:24 AM (#12)

• 4DSP Staff (EU)
  • Administrator
Hello Juergen,

I understand that, requests for reference design are never taken care of with high priority, sorry for that.

I am asking the engineer again

Thanks,
Arnaud

tonyku November 15, 2013, 01:09 PM (#13)

• Administrator
Hello,

I have posted a test version in your PRIVATE support area.  Please follow the instruction there.

Thanks.
Tony

arnaudNL November 15, 2013, 05:03 PM (#14)

• 4DSP Staff (EU)
  • Administrator

Dear Sir,

Thanks for the test on the design and confirming its correct operations. We are adding these binaries to our next installer scheduled on 11/29/2013.

The files are available on request for other customers of us.

Best Regards,
Arnaud