Topic: Sampling of an external signal through FMC150  (Read 6258 times)

ahmed January 24, 2012, 10:04 AM

I would like to sample an external analog signal using the FMC150, and give this data to the FPGA.
I'm using Xilinx System Generator in simulink.

I have 4 Questions :

How to specify that the Input to the ADC is from an external signal ( channel A for example ) and not from simulink ?
How to control the parameters of the ADC such as sampling frequency and gain ?
How to set the FPGA clock frequency to be consistent with the sampling frequency in the ADC ?
Is it necessary that I write an interface for example or can I re-use parts of the reference design, or shall I just use the ADC1 / ADC2 from the Xilinx XtremeDSP kit library in simulink?

Thanks in advance,
Ahmed.
  • « Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 10:25 AM by ahmed »

arnaudNL January 25, 2012, 05:38 AM (#1)

• 4DSP Staff (EU)
  • Administrator
Hello Ahmed,

We do not provide any support around Xilinx System Generator and Simulink. You might check community websites as http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Xilinx-Boards-and-Kits/System-Generator-with-ML605-amp-FMC150/td-p/201553 and look at this reference design. If the reference design is not good enough then you might want to contact AVNET for extra information.

Best Regards,

Arnaud

ahmed January 26, 2012, 07:29 AM (#2)

Thank you very much for your quick reply,

I've checked this link , it lead me to the reference designs (RTL reference design and getting started reference design and System Generator reference design) - however details of how the communication between the FMC150 and FPGA is not provided.

if I am not using System Generator, and just using Xilinx ISE ,

should I write the interface and the communication between the Virtex-6 FPGA and the FMC150, or is it -somehow- provided ?

Thanks again for your help,
Ahmed.

arnaudNL January 26, 2012, 08:56 AM (#3)

• 4DSP Staff (EU)
  • Administrator
Dear Ahmed,

We have a BSP for ML605 indeed, it contains StellarIP and an ethernet interface to the FMC150 board. It is not meant to stream data "as is" but can be used to completely control the FMC150 as well as its chipset settings from a host application running on Windows, once again we have no interfaces/dupports for sysgen in this flow.

This BSP has a cost obviously, customers purchasing 5 cards or more (from 4DSP) get it "for free". You might want to write to sales@4dsp.com and explain them the AVNET design is not sufficient and you would like to obtain 4DSP BSP, depending on the business opportunities you might get it free of charge.

With my best regards,

Arnaud