Topic: Stellar IP Design  (Read 35910 times)

JoaoFerreira February 17, 2015, 09:19 AM

Hello,

I have changed my fmc150 stellar ip star removing the waveform memory from DAC. Now i want to conect the ouput from ADC to DAC, which is easy to do in Stellar Ip.
Now i'm having a problem because i want to send a "copy" from the data that is passing from ADC to DAC, to zedbhost_if. I want to use the existing router, so can i just connect the output from ADC to both DAC input and router input?

I have another problem with the FMC15xAPP that i have modified. I programmed the board with the go *.bit file and everything went okay, the autonegotiation was okay too, but when i run the APP it always say "Could not open device 1000"

I already tried your APP and your bit file and it shows the samething. What is causing this issue?

Thanks
  • « Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 02:47 PM by JoaoFerreira »

lmunoz February 17, 2015, 03:21 PM (#1)

Hi,

How did you connect the ADC to the DAC? I don't think that is easy to do, they have different rates and resolutions, did you match those and get it working? You should focus on that first once that is working sending to host is easy because it is already done. You send a trigger that starts capturing to a FIFO that gets read to the host. Streaming the ADC data to DAC requires matching the rates and resolution., if you just want to capture and repeat that is easier, just wire the adc data to that waveform repeat entity and pay attention to clock domains for commands and data.

So you haven't been able to run the reference application and bit file as provided?

Regards,
Luis
  • « Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 03:46 PM by lmunoz »

JoaoFerreira February 17, 2015, 04:11 PM (#2)

I just removed the waveform memory from the vhdl code and in Stellar IP i conected the output of ADC to the DAC input.

I have tried to run the APP many times, and today it worked only one time.... I have already run it several times in other days and it worked, but now i'm having that error. I followed the doc explaining it. I used the jumpers in my zedboard like in the figure, but when i do it it says "done bit can't go high". If i used the jumpers in programming mode i'm capable of program the board, but then when i run the APP it says "Could not open device 1000"

lmunoz February 17, 2015, 09:10 PM (#3)

"I just removed the waveform memory from the vhdl code and in Stellar IP i conected the output of ADC to the DAC input."

That won't work, because the two devices are sampling at different rates...

There might be an error in the figure for the jumpers, follow the description in the text not the picture. Make sure you are using the bit file provided by 4dsp not the one you built. Also post your console output.

JoaoFerreira February 18, 2015, 07:01 AM (#4)

I thought that after remove the wfm, i just have to take care with DAC and ADC frequencies when using the FMC15xAPP.

I already did everything as the doc say, with your files and the same problem occurs. I attached a photo to see.

tonyku February 18, 2015, 06:44 PM (#5)

• Administrator

Hi,

What is your computer IP address on the ethernet port that is connected directly to the Zedboard?

it must be set STATICALLY to 192.168.1.1 with gateway set to 192.168.1.10, subnet 255.255.255.0.

Basically the board is set to IP address 192.168.1.10 statically.   So to connect to it you have to directly connect your computer to the board and fix your computer's IP address.

Additionally you must make sure that firewalls are all OFF so that it won't block ports and connections.

Tony
  • « Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 06:46 PM by tonyku »

JoaoFerreira February 18, 2015, 06:48 PM (#6)

Okay i'll try tomorrow to see the firewall, because i did that IP adress configuration
  • « Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 06:50 PM by JoaoFerreira »

tonyku February 18, 2015, 08:14 PM (#7)

• Administrator

Also, if everything is setup properly on the network side, you should be able to PING the card.  If firewall is off, ip addresses are set correctly and you can't ping it, then this suggest issue with the firmware build.

JoaoFerreira February 19, 2015, 08:14 AM (#8)

I tried what you said, the problem wasn't solved.
Then i changed the ethernet cable and everything works fine. :S

Now, i ask some help because lmunoz said that the changes i have made to the vhdl code wasn't sufficient to do what i want to.

I thought that i only had to remove thw waveform memory and then change the FMC15xAPP. I would apreciate if you could give some hints about this situation.

arnaudNL February 20, 2015, 06:48 AM (#9)

• 4DSP Staff (EU)
  • Administrator
Dear Sir,

You are trying to feed a ADC output to a DAC. This is fine but this assumes that:

1) The sampling frequency of both ADC and DAC are the same.
2) The resolution is the same.
3) The sample justification is the same.

All the three above are not the case in the standard reference design. Changing the sampling frequency would be about experimenting settings in the clock tree device and I believe you want to place a user processing star between the ADC and the DAC in order to modify the DAC output in a way it can be fed to the DAC (resolution and justification of the samples).

I hope that helps!

Best Regards,
Arnaud

JoaoFerreira February 20, 2015, 12:49 PM (#10)

Thanks for the help.

So you are saying that i can change the sampling frequency of the DAC na dmake it equal to the ADC? Or it isn't possible and i have to change it with a processing star?
  • « Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 01:36 PM by JoaoFerreira »

arnaudNL February 23, 2015, 05:04 AM (#11)

• 4DSP Staff (EU)
  • Administrator
Dear Sir,

It will be extremely difficult to modify the design if you don't understand the hardware architecture first. You need to first look at the DAC (DAC3283) and ADC (ADS62P49) integrated circuits in order to check its operation modes. The DAC has interpolation modes so you can have the DAC running twice as fast as the ADC clock. The the clock tree device, the CDCE72010 is in charge of dividing the VCO loop's output frequency by n. Figure 5 in the FMC150 user manual provides a diagram of the clock tree.

Chapter 5 of the user manual describes how to control the FMC150.

If you are interested, 4DSP can develop such a firmware, the ADC go to the DAC through a user processing star and you can implement your user processing in that star. Is it a path you are interested to follow? I would expect 3-5 man days is required in order to do that on our side. If you are interested I can get you in touch with one of our sales agent.

I hope that helps!

Best Regards,
Arnaud

JoaoFerreira February 23, 2015, 06:35 AM (#12)

Hum ok but the FMC150 user manual doesn't describe clearly that work.
I read that we can give an external clock, we can use it as sampling clock for both ADC and DAC?

• [size=78%]And is it possible to have some kind of document where you do a loopback between ADC and DAC to understand that better?[/size]
  • [size=78%]I attached a photo of the frequencies given in FMC15xAPP that frequencies shows that ADC and DAC are the same?[/size]
Probably these questions are pretty obvious for you, but for the people trying to learn about your firmware these questions are not clear.
  • « Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 12:11 PM by JoaoFerreira »

arnaudNL February 24, 2015, 07:13 AM (#13)

• 4DSP Staff (EU)
  • Administrator
Dear Sir,

As explained already, modifications done of the free of charge reference design are not supported by standard technical support. You will need to purchase an engineering support contract to get detailed help as per your expectations.

At this stage I think you should try and experiment because this is part of engineering. Maybe it sounds a bit short but we have sold more than 7000 FMC150s over the last 4 years and other customers where able to integrate this hardware solely referring to the FMC150 User Manual.

If you want everything done easy and step by step guidance on how to modify the reference design, an engineering support contract is required. Are you interested by this path?

Best Regards,
Arnaud

JoaoFerreira February 24, 2015, 07:21 AM (#14)

I'll try to figure out on my own