Topic: start up with FMC667  (Read 13804 times)

mountainsea June 18, 2014, 06:54 AM

I am currently trying to run the 4DSP firmware for VC707 board. After following the steps to generate the elf file from Xilinx SDK, I proceeded to program the fpga with the elf file. The programming was successful and the LCD shows "Initializing System". However there was no progress after that and the LCD remains at "Initializing System".

Can you please advise what could have gone wrong? Does the fmc667 needs to be programmed for the firmware in VC707 to be initialized properly? Do you have any example on programming the fmc667 using the onboard emulator? Please help as we need to get the framework up to evaluate thefmc667 card.

arnaudNL June 18, 2014, 10:32 AM (#1)

• 4DSP Staff (EU)
  • Administrator
Dear Sir,

Could you confirm you are using the .bit file shipped along with the BSP? The bit file contains the elf file already and this is the easiest way to evaluate the FMC667.

Try to upload the bit file using JTAG and check everything, well actually simply follow the 4FM Getting Started Guide there is a complete step by step guide on how to get started with FMC645/FMC667. This exact error indicate the microblaze stopped executing for a reason or another. If this happening with the initial bit file, can you please try to powercycle your VC707 and verify the FMC is properly attached? Also the TI device is getting VERY hot you need to have some cooling as per the user manual.

We don't have any examples on how to use the on board emulation but it is very straight forward. It can be directly used by CCS as any other TI boards. You should choose "Texas Instruments XDS100v1 USB Emulator" and choose the TMS320C6678 device.

Best Regards,
Arnaud

Peter77 June 19, 2014, 06:07 AM (#2)

Hi Arnaud,
Sorry to hijack the thread, but I had the same problem described above, the uart os hangs after displaying "Initializing System". I am currently using the FMC667 card attached to the VC707 eval board. The FMC667 card is cooled by a large blower fan, so heat issue is not a problem. The ISE I am using is 14.7.
My eval board(VC707) is able to initalize correctly with the supplied .bit file, so the hardware must be working correctly. Which is the correct firmware to use when configuring vc707 using Stellar IP for my FMC667 card, is it 355_vc707_fmc667_lpc or 402_vc707_fmc667_hpc? I had tried both, but it still doesn't work and  355_vc707_fmc667_lpc is not able to generate due to library problem(unable to locate some items).
 I think my problem is similiar to the one in the forum
 "4DSP Support Forum » Products » Board Support Package (Installation, Licensing, ...) » FMC667 Board support package test example uart_os init problem". For that problem, the user bypassed the problem by using the .bit file, but this is not an option to me as I need to modify the software in the uart os. I had also tried the advice "I know that there are bugs in ISE where the export to SDK does not really works You should replace the .bit file exported by ISE to EDK with the one created by ISE and that might work.", but it still does not works. Please help.
 Thanks!

arnaudNL June 19, 2014, 07:15 AM (#3)

• 4DSP Staff (EU)
  • Administrator
Hello,

The fact the bit file is working fine indicate both hardware and design are working fine. The problem here is that any update in the Xilinx libraries might simply get the system not working anymore. Have you looked at the source code or maybe step traced the code to understand where it goes wrong?

We have compiled the bit files with these different ISE versions:

- firmware 355 was compiled using ISE 14.5
- firmware 402 was compiled using ISE 14.6

The first thing to try would be to configure StellarIP to use these exact versions. EDK/ISE systems are not resistant to ISE updates. Can you please try using the correct ISE versions and see if that helps.

Can you also let me know if you are try to use the .elf included or if you are trying to recompile the software.

In the meanwhile, I will focus on firmware 402 myself and try to reproduce the problem

Best Regards,
Arnaud

arnaudNL June 23, 2014, 05:15 AM (#4)

• 4DSP Staff (EU)
  • Administrator
Hello,

I am waiting our VC707 to be available for me so I have no news right now.

Thank you for your patience!

Arnaud

arnaudNL June 27, 2014, 07:11 AM (#5)

• 4DSP Staff (EU)
  • Administrator
Dear Sir,

The VC707 is still busy, could be please answer my questions/comments already?

Thanks,
Arnaud

Peter77 June 30, 2014, 01:41 AM (#6)

Hi Arnaud,
I had just finished compiling  firmware 402 using ISE 14.6, but the uart os still hangs after programming the fpga with the elf. Using SDK to step through the code, I noticed that the switch statement in function configure_i2c_bridge switches to the default PCA9548_KC705_CFG_FMC_HPC instead of VC707_CONSTELLATION_ID_HPC1. Is this correct? It seems odd as the evel board I am using is VC707, just for info, the cid value is 1920004h
The system seems to hang at i2c_xil_send_register_data in the while loop as I am unable to step over this portion of the code. Hope this info helps.
Thanks!

arnaudNL July 01, 2014, 04:39 AM (#7)

• 4DSP Staff (EU)
  • Administrator
Dear Puay,

I will look into that issue today, I will keep you updated as soon I get something out of that.

Thanks,
Arnaud

arnaudNL July 01, 2014, 05:48 AM (#8)

• 4DSP Staff (EU)
  • Administrator
Dear Puay,

So I could reproduce the problem and fix the problem. The issue is the linkerscript lscript.ld, it is using EDK 14.4 syntax and not EDK 14.6 syntax.

The simplest way of fixing that is to delete lscript.ld from Xilinx SDK's Project Explorer view and then right click on uart_os project and choose "Generate Linker Script". Keep all the setting by default in the "Generate a linker script" dialog and press the "Generate" button.

After compilation you can use SDK to debug the software (not this assumes firmware 402 was compiled and exported with bitstream to SDK, a BSP project created, etc):

1) Power off the VC707 and wait 10 seconds.
2) Power on the VC707.
3) In Xilinx SDK, press the "Program FPGA" button or get that from the "Xilinx Tools" menu. Simply press the "Program" button without to change any settings, ie keep "bootloop" as ELF file to initialize.
4) Wait the FPGA upload to complete, at the end the LCD display does not have anything on it.
5) In Xilinx SDK's Project Explorer, right click on uart_os project and choose "Debug As" > "Launch on  Hardware (GDB)".
6) SDK will then stop on the first line in main(), press the "Run" button.
7) At this time you will see "FMC667 Ready" displayed on the LCD display.

Can you please report back to me, can you confirm regenerating the linker script fixes the problem?

Best Regards,
Arnaud

Peter77 July 02, 2014, 01:41 AM (#9)

Hi Arnaud,

The fix worked! I am able to get the uart os working. Thanks for the help!

Thanks!

arnaudNL July 02, 2014, 04:32 AM (#10)

• 4DSP Staff (EU)
  • Administrator
Thanks for the feedback. I have updated the installer base and next installer will contain the updated linker script.

arnaudNL July 02, 2014, 04:35 AM (#11)

• 4DSP Staff (EU)
  • Administrator
This topic is being closed because the issue is considered as resolved by 4DSP. Feel free to create a new topic for any further inquiries.