Topic: Zedboard/Zynq-7000 + FMC30RF Demo Application Not Working  (Read 5094 times)

BlakeM November 25, 2013, 03:49 PM

We recently purchased a software defined radio kit from AvNet which includes the Zynq 7000 SoC and the FMC30RF card. The reference design is provided by 4DSP and is located here: http://www.4DSP.com/avnet/Zedboard-FMC30RF.zip

After installing with default options, the demo (FMC30RFGUI) does not run. I get a message stating "Could not find 'CFMC30RFDll.dll', make sure it is located side by side with the executable!'. Both the exe and the dll are in the same folder. I have tried two Windows 7 64-bit machines and the problem appears on both. I've tried changing folder permissions and moving the application + DLL to the Desktop or other locations and cannot get it to run. Any help you could provide would be appreciated. Thanks.

arnaudNL November 26, 2013, 05:33 AM (#1)

• 4DSP Staff (EU)
  • Administrator
Dear Sir,

This could be related to the lack of Visual Studio 2012 Redistributables on your machine. Do you have Visual Studio 2012 installed? If not you would need to have the redistributables packages downloaded from Microsoft ([size=78%]http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30679[/size]) and installed.

To make sure, I have installed the package here on my Windows 7 (64 bit) and it runs fine, I can run the GUI from the start menu, right after the installation.

Best Regards,
Arnaud

BlakeM November 26, 2013, 05:12 PM (#2)

Thanks, this worked. For other people's reference, I have a 64 bit system, but had to install the x86 runtime for it to launch.

Now that I've gotten it to launch, I am having trouble with it crashing almost immediately. For example, if I open the program and I change the attenuator level, it crashes right away. If I pick a settings file (I've tried all 3 of the XML configurations) and an output waveform/transmit buffer file, the display will update for 3-4 seconds before locking up.

I noticed that the boards were getting pretty hot, so I hooked up a couple of CPU case fans to bring the temp down. The application runs a little longer, sometimes up to 10 seconds, but still crashes pretty quickly. Any ideas on what would be causing this?

arnaudNL November 27, 2013, 04:53 AM (#3)

• 4DSP Staff (EU)
  • Administrator
Dear Sir,

No, I would not be able to tell. I think both the Zedboard and FMC30RF need to be cooled down to have reliable operations. Keep in mind this application is a simple demo. You can also try on another machine but I would expect temperature to be the culprit here.

That's correct, the application is a Win32 application so the x86 runtime should be installed.

Best Regards,
Arnaud

arnaudNL December 03, 2013, 05:44 AM (#4)

• 4DSP Staff (EU)
  • Administrator
This topic is being closed because the issue is considered as resolved by 4DSP. Feel free to create a new topic for any further inquiries.