Topic: 4FMC FMC Analyer for FMC30RF and ML605  (Read 7399 times)

kcfarleyswmacb October 03, 2013, 04:33 PM

Tried to use 4FM FMC Analyzer with FMC30RF and ML605

1) Tried Ethernet Interface and got this error message:
    "Unable to retrieve Ethernet device list. Error code is -1

Note: Downloaded bit file and ran command line test with ethernet and seemed to work.
               Section 8.1  steps     8,9,10 on page 66.

a) Why doesn't this work?

2) PCIe seems to be grayed out. Why is this unavailable?

arnaudNL October 08, 2013, 11:32 AM (#1)

• 4DSP Staff (EU)
  • Administrator
Dear Sir,

The FMC30RF is not supported on ML605 when connected to PCIe, this is the reason why this is grayed out. You could try to select a FMC150 and there you will see the PCI droplist enabled.

As far as the issue is concerned, I have seen this problem on my machine when running the 4FM Analyzer from 4FM Control GUI tab. Can you try to run the analyzer (4FM_FMC_Analyzer.exe) directly from the executable under "C:\Program Files (x86)\4dsp\FMC Analyzer".

This issue disappeared after re installing my machine which was scheduled earlier. We have tested on 10 difference machines (11 including mine) and we have not seen the issue. Note that this tool is not very mature and you are providing me with the first report about this new tool.

Let me know if that helps,
Arnaud

kcfarleyswmacb October 10, 2013, 12:06 PM (#2)

Arnaud:

I did try that and tried to look at TX signal on scope and spectrum analyzer. I found the signals to unexpected and confusing and therefore did not trust the GUI. When using a sinewave I didn't see a nice clean sinewave on scope or signal offset from tune frequency on spectrum analyzer. When I used sine function could elaborate what I should see on a scope and spectrum analyzer for TX.

arnaudNL October 11, 2013, 04:01 AM (#3)

• 4DSP Staff (EU)
  • Administrator
Dear Sir,

Running FMC30RFTestApp with two antennas or loopback cable on the FMC30RF (don't forget an attenuator in the path) should provide you with decent results out of the box, can you confirm?

Best Regards,
Arnaud

kcfarleyswmacb October 11, 2013, 12:01 PM (#4)

Arnaud:

I think I got the test setup correctly now.
    1) Using 4FM_FMC_Analyzer directly
    2) Using bit file from Program Files(x86)/4dsp/Common/Firmware/Recovery/202_ml605_fmc30rf/
                202_ml605_fmc30rf.bit
    3) Loopback RF IO with 30db Atten to RF IN.

I look at the spectrum analyzer in the application and see two signals: One 5.04 MHz Above and one 5.04 Mhz below carrer? With Quadrature Modulation I would expect to see only one?? I also verified this on the spectrum analyzer and this is what I see below. I would expect one of the side bands to be suppressed???

2.105 GHz -4.23 dBm
     2.095 GHz -4.25 dBm
     2.1     GHz -38.6 dBm

Could you explain and elaborate on this?

peter October 15, 2013, 11:14 AM (#5)

• 4DSP Staff (US)
  • Administrator
Dear Sir,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. This is typically the result of I/Q mismatching. I will need to check exactly what signal our reference design is generating.

Thank you,
Peter

peter October 16, 2013, 10:04 AM (#6)

• 4DSP Staff (US)
  • Administrator
Dear Sir,

Our application is generating a cosine wave on the real part of the complex signal and keeps the imaginary part at all 0's. This is why you see the signal mirrored. We are planning to fix this software issue in our next release.

Best Regards,
Peter

kcfarleyswmacb October 16, 2013, 10:31 AM (#7)

Thanks Peter. Let me know when the fix is available

peter December 06, 2013, 06:50 PM (#8)

• 4DSP Staff (US)
  • Administrator

Dear Sir,

I wanted to announce that we have changed our 4FM FMC Analyzer application. I now generates a proper complex signal.

Best Regards,
Peter

arnaudNL December 10, 2013, 05:10 AM (#9)

• 4DSP Staff (EU)
  • Administrator
This topic is being closed because the issue is considered as resolved by 4DSP. Feel free to create a new topic for any further inquiries.