Topic: VC707 and FMC30RF don't response over the ethernet  (Read 12087 times)

Ozerov August 01, 2013, 09:52 AM

Hi 4dsp,
I have generated  default firmware for VC707 by StellarIP and downloaded it into FPGA. Then I tried to connect our board to the PC over Ethernet and have seen in the Ethernet Cart settings that connection had speed 100 Mbps but in the firmware and in the relevant docs says that speed must be 1 Gbps. When I open FMC30RFApp project and launch it, Wireshark captures some 5 outcoming packages from the FMC30RFApp to the FPGA, but VC707 don't response on the request of the sip cid table. I changed 4 Ethernet cables(cat.5e), install last drivers on ethernet card. Windows 7 is installed on PC.
When I downloaded default Xilinx firmare (XTP148, ethernet example for VC707) into FPGA, board was sending packages from interal(in FPGA) packet generator and we saw it in Wireshark.   

Best regards, Dmitri.

arnaudNL August 01, 2013, 10:59 AM (#1)

• 4DSP Staff (EU)
  • Administrator
Dmitri,

The 1Gbps is an actual limitation on the 4DSP design and I am not surprised some other Xilinx design are working.

You really want to use a 1Gbps capable hardware for the internet.

Best Regarsd,
Arnaud

Ozerov August 01, 2013, 03:11 PM (#2)

Arnaud,

In the ISE project for FPGA (346_vc707_fmc30rf) was set up 1 Gbps Ethernet link speed by default.  I've tried to change link_speed_conv parameter in ISE project for 100Mbps speed but result was same. Mayby I doing something wrong and how can I manage the Ethernet speed?

Regards, Dmitri

arnaudNL August 02, 2013, 04:04 AM (#3)

• 4DSP Staff (EU)
  • Administrator
Dear Dmitri,

I believe it was set to 1Gbps because it would not work on 100Mbps, please try on a machine with a 1Gbps Ethernet.

Best Regards,
Arnaud

Ozerov August 02, 2013, 08:07 AM (#4)

But in the first anwer you say thet 1Gbps is an sctual limitation on the 4DSP design:
Dmitri,

The 1Gbps is an actual limitation on the 4DSP design and I am not surprised some other Xilinx design are working.

You really want to use a 1Gbps capable hardware for the internet.

I tried to change some Ethernet Cards but 1Gbps wasn't set up. When I connected cable to the led of 1GBps speed blinked  but not established and PC didn't see a network cable.  Then LED was continuing to blink on 1 Gbps speed or change on LED of 100 Mbps speed ans established (it was depend from Ethernet Card).

Kyu August 06, 2013, 12:49 PM (#5)

Dmitri,

100Mbsp should work. It will be good if you can try it with 1Gbsp capable machine to make sure. This can be because of the firewall. Could you try it with turning off the firewall temporarily?

Also, I would like you to verify the step again.
1. Plug in the ethernet and JTAG cables
2. Wait till LED lights for ehternet is blinking.
3. Program the FPGA
4. Run the application. "1 VC707 <device number> 0" Could you verify if the correct device is used?

Thanks,
Kyu

Ozerov August 26, 2013, 05:44 AM (#6)

Kyu,

100 Mbps is set up and LEDs of 100Mbps and Duplex is on (on 1Gbps machine), not blinking. But I coudn't get sipcid table, board didn't answer at right read request (2000 2000 0000 0000 - I've seen it in Wireshark). But in the simulation on ISIM (with the sip_vc707_mac_engine_sgmii_emu.vhd instead sip_vc707_mac_engine_sgmii.vhd) I see right read ack and the first word of sip cid table on this request. Is the
sip_vc707_mac_engine_sgmii.vhd working correctly on VC707 and do you try to get sip_cid_table on VC707 with 346_vc707_fmc30rf?

Best Regards, Dmitri.[/font]

Kyu August 26, 2013, 12:28 PM (#7)

Dmitri,

For the ISIM simulation, we use the behavioral model for the MAC engine. This assumes the Ethernet is working correctly.
In your post, I see that you tested the 100Mbps on 1Gbps machine. Does the 1Gbps Ethernet also fail to read sip_cid table? I also see that you generated a default firmware in your first post. Have you tried the bit file that we provided? This bit file is one that we tested before releasing. Our reference software always reads the sip_cid_table to verify what kinds of firmware is loaded into the FPGA and to get the allocated register addresses of the each star.

Thanks,
Kyu

Ozerov August 27, 2013, 04:58 AM (#8)

Yes, I've tried your firmware from Recovery folder(bit file). 1 Gbps isn't set up, LED 1 Gbps is blinking. PC can't  set connection. When set 100 Mbps in Network Card options 100 Mbps is established and corresponding Ethernet LEDs is on (at VC707).  PC set connection, but board doesn't answer on sip_cid_table request.

Best Regards, Dmitri

Ozerov August 27, 2013, 11:59 AM (#9)

Kyu,

I've tried another VC707 board and connection with PC is set up on 1Gbps (and I could get sip_cid_table). On 100 Mbps connection is also set up, but I coudn't get sip_cid_table. In my opinion, in previous VC707 doesn't work Ethernet (maybe ethernet chip or FPGA gigabit trancievers). I've seen early on this forum similar problem with VC707. Meybe it is "tiny place" on VC707.

Thanks, Dmitri[/font][/font]

Kyu August 27, 2013, 12:38 PM (#10)

Dmitri,

It's good to hear that you finally get it to work. Thank you for your feedback.

Kyu

arnaudNL April 01, 2014, 08:04 AM (#11)

• 4DSP Staff (EU)
  • Administrator
This topic is being closed because the issue is considered as resolved by 4DSP. Feel free to create a new topic for any further inquiries.