Topic: external clock and external reference mode  (Read 10517 times)

stanstanev June 24, 2013, 08:02 PM

Hello,

I am trying to implement clock mode option 1 (external clock) and clock mode option 2 (external reference). Neither option works when running the reference design for VC707.
For the external reference option, I just plug in a 30.72MHz sine wave to the REF IN port on the front panel but the PLL never locks.
For the external clock I have tried various ranges between 500MHz and 5.6GHz and the only feedback I get from the reference application is odd readback frequencies from the firmware. It usually reads back around 50MHz for either DAC for any external clock frequency I try.

Have these modes been tested for functionality?
Please advise.

Thanks
Stan

stanstanev June 24, 2013, 11:05 PM (#1)

Let me add some more information that might help you guide me in the right direction.

Regarding the external reference mode:

I set REFMON from the clocktree register to output the REF1/REF2 frequency status.  I am probing the STATUS pins in the CPLD and when the board is configured with the internal reference, REFMON detects REF1 correctly. When I configure the board to use the external reference, REFMON does not detect REF2.
I have tried various voltage levels and frequencies on the external reference input and it is not being detected. Is there anywhere I can probe on the board to check if the external reference is actually getting to the REF2 input on the clocktree?

Kyu June 26, 2013, 01:46 AM (#2)

Stan,

Yes, we test the external clock and referce in. REF_IN can be probed R21 near the REF_IN connector  or R44 between CLK_LD and DAC0 SYNC test points on the bottom of the card. These directly connect to REF2.

Thanks,
Kyu

stanstanev June 26, 2013, 04:02 PM (#3)

Hi Kyu,

I ended up probing directly at pin 47 on AD9517 which is the REF2 input and I am able to see the waveform on the scope.
I played around with different level setting and waveforms for the external reference signal.
The device is able to detect (but NOT lock) a square/sine wave 0 to 3V at 30.72MHz. Anything below 3V and it does not detect it.  Now there is still an issue with the PLL lock. It doesn't lock when the external reference is selected (even though I have set it to the same frequency as the internal VCXO, 30.72MHz).

We own an FMC110 board which uses the same clock tree device (AD9517) and I believe the reference input is differential. The reference input on that board works perfectly.
Not sure what is happening here, could there be an issue because it is a single ended input on this board?

Kyu June 27, 2013, 01:12 AM (#4)

Stan,

Single ended input should not cause this issue. It may be your setting. If you check the reference application, there's a setting for the internal 32.72 clock. Could you try to follow this example for the REF2?

Kyu

stanstanev July 08, 2013, 04:14 PM (#5)

I found out the problem. The function that  I was using to write to the clock tree device was applying the register write after every function call.  When setting up the N and R dividers and initiating a calibration, all register writes have to be completed before applying the changes.
The external reference mode works now.
Thank you.

Stan