Topic: Generate Random waveform using FMC150 and Xilink KC705  (Read 15061 times)

varunv123 June 12, 2013, 06:55 PM

Hey
I set up the FMC150 with the Xilink KC705 board using the quick set-up guide and get a sine waveform on the oscilloscope as expected. I would now like to be able to generate a random wavefrom of my choice (for example another sine wave of a particular frequency or a OFDM waveform). I presume this would be done by inputting data of my choosing into the DAC as apposed to the data that is inputted by default which makes the sine wave. Do you know how I would go about doing this?
Thanks for your help!
  • « Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 07:00 PM by varunv123 »

arnaudNL June 13, 2013, 05:49 AM (#1)

• 4DSP Staff (EU)
  • Administrator
Dear Sir,

FMC150App is indeed creating buffers on the fly, check at GenerateWaveform16() in main.cpp. The software source code is installed under 'C:\Program Files (x86)\4dsp\FMC Board Support Package\Refs\Software\FMC150'

Best Regards,
Arnaud

varunv123 June 13, 2013, 01:23 PM (#2)

Thanks Arnuad.

What would be the best way to modify the generatewaveform16() function to create a waveform of my choice? Can I just open the FMC150app.vcxproj file in visual studio, modify the code to how I want, compile it and then call the FMC150app.exe function the same way its called in the quick start guide? If you could give me a rough outline on how to proceed that would be great!

Thanks again for your help

Best

Varun
  • « Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 09:09 PM by varunv123 »

varunv123 June 17, 2013, 02:43 PM (#3)

bump

arnaudNL June 18, 2013, 11:35 AM (#4)

• 4DSP Staff (EU)
  • Administrator
Dear Varun,

Correct, you can modify the software and recompile it. Then you execute it the same was as the initial software.

This is about browsing a project file in Visual Studio 2012 (Express or PRO) and build the project.

Best Regards,
Arnaud

varunv123 June 20, 2013, 02:00 PM (#5)

Dear Arnaud,

Thanks for your help, I was able to load whatever samples I wanted by modifying the project. For the last few days I've been looking to try to constantly stream samples into the DAC, and from the ADC, as apposed to now where, as far as I understand it, the program loads bursts of 65536 samples onto the FPGA and then the firmware on it cycles through these samples indefinitely to produce the waveform. Firstly, is my understanding of what is going on in the FPGA/DAC correct and secondly, do you know how I could get samples to continuously stream in/out through the ethernet port? We do not need to load samples in at a very high speed, something around 20 MHz is fine and I think that is supported by ethernet.

Thank you very much for your help,

Best,

Varun
  • « Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 02:39 PM by varunv123 »

arnaudNL June 20, 2013, 03:37 PM (#6)

• 4DSP Staff (EU)
  • Administrator
Dear Varun,

I am delighted to hear that you got along with the reference design and could experiment a little using it.

That's correct, the host software uploads data to a firmware FIFO, the waveform memory. The firmware is then constantly feeding the converters.

You should be aware that the Ethernet link implemented in the reference design was not designed for streaming of data but only designed to handle snapshot data. It is a very minimalist layer without any kind of recovery or data integrity checks.

The FMC150 star VHDL code should be modified in order to bypass the waveform memory. You should also look at the bandwidth available  on the data bus feeding the FMC150 star. You will quickly see if you can sustain pushing data from the host fast/reliable enough.

Best Regards,
Arnaud

varunv123 June 25, 2013, 09:02 PM (#7)

Thanks Arnaud.

I looked into the some of the code and we decided to go in a different direction to start. Now, I would like to read samples from the both ADCs into a file as quickly as possible. However, we need to read from both ADCs simultaneously since we're using them as a I and Q inputs. Currently, the way the app is configured, it creates a pipe to each ADCs FIFO and reads data one at a time. Is there anyway to change this to read them both at the same time?

Thanks and regards,

Varun

arnaudNL June 26, 2013, 04:40 AM (#8)

• 4DSP Staff (EU)
  • Administrator
Dear Varun,

The ADCs are sampling continuously but the firmware is indeed not having the signal synchronous. The firmware/software should be modified for this and this is not covered by standard technical support.

The data routers are eating any data not connected to the output, this is the most obvious modifications to be done. There are many others; get channels synchronous, get the trigger time accurate on both channels. You might also need to use a big hardware memory FIFO.

All this cannot be described in depth unless an engineering support contract is in place. Then one of our engineer will be dedicated to answer your question in details.

Best Regards,
Arnaud

varunv123 June 26, 2013, 04:45 PM (#9)

Thanks Arnaud.

I am going to try and modify the firmware to have a router with multiple inputs and outputs (maybe a s2d3 router) unlike now where it has 3 possible inputs and one output (s3d1 router). Do you have any idea who the software (C code) can be modified to accommodate this (configuring the router, reading registers etc)? I think modifying the firmware as such like you suggested will allow us to be able to read both ADCs at the same time. I noticed that you wrote the software so was wondering if you had any insight on this part.

Thanks again for your help

Varun

arnaudNL June 27, 2013, 05:10 AM (#10)

• 4DSP Staff (EU)
  • Administrator
Hello Varun,

The idea is that the software is able to retrieve base address of a star from the firmware for a given star ID, I think the function is called cid_getstaroffset() or something like. And then you simply write value to one of the register located on that base address.

The reference software does configure routers but in this case you will configure different routers.

Best Regards,
Arnaud

varunv123 July 02, 2013, 05:49 AM (#11)

Hey Arnuad,

Thanks I was able to modify the firmware and software to read from both ADCs synchronously. I thought everything was working but when I change the clock rate of the ADC (using the clock divider) and sample at frequencies lower than the default of 245.76 MHz (like 122.88, 61.44 etc) the data gets distorted and are no longer smooth sine waves ,or even close. I googled it and there are others with who had similar problems too but I couldn't find any solutions. Do you have any why this may be happening?

Thanks for your help

Best

Varun

arnaudNL July 02, 2013, 04:25 PM (#12)

• 4DSP Staff (EU)
  • Administrator
Dear Varun,

It is common to see the same signal more "stairy" when you reduce the sampling frequency. This is due to the lack of measurement points in the signal period. I would recommend you to use the buffer created by the application in Visual Analog, a free tool released by Analog Devices. This tool is handy as it computes post FFT analysis out of time domain buffers.

This could also be related to firmware related issues at low frequency, or specific chip configuration required for the new frequency. Normally any changes around the sampling frequency would call for new firmware simulations and so on.

I hope that helps,
Arnaud

varunv123 July 02, 2013, 11:05 PM (#13)

Arnaud,

The signal we get isn't "stairy" but is completely distorted so I highly doubt it is due to a lack of measurement points. I have attached an image of the output signal (output.png) as well as that of the input signal (input.png). I have also attached the input and output signals at 245.76 MHz when everything works fine (245_76.png). Do you have any idea why the signal may look like this? The signals are distorted in a similar manner at lower frequencies too. Hope this helps better understand our problem, sorry for not making it completely clear earlier.

Thanks for your help

Best

Varun

ebarhorst July 03, 2013, 06:58 AM (#14)

• 4DSP Staff (EU)
  • Administrator
HI,

the ADC input path is using IDELAY elements to put the data at the correct place compared to the reference clock. The idelay setting is written at run time by the host application. The value is chosen to work at the standard frequency. When you reduce the clock frequency it can happen that  the clock edge shifts relative to the data window and data is sampled at the wrong moment. You will need to find the correct IDELAY value for your specific frequency.

You can change the clock IDLEY and the data IDELAY by modifying the following two parameters

Code: [Select]

else if( cid_getconstellationid() == CONSTELLATION_ID_KC705) {
printf("Found KC705 hardware\n\n");
tapiod_clk = 0x00; tapiod_data = 0x00;
}

one IDELAY tap is approximately 75 ps and I suggest incrementing with steps of 3. First with the tapiod_clk. Each time checking if it has an effect on the data you sample. At some point it should become proper data. Once you continue it will become bad data again. You should choose the tapiod_clk value in the middle between the two edges where the valid window starts.

If changing the tapiod_clk does not work, you can put the tapiod_clk back to 0 and start incrementing the   tapiod_data and find a valid window.

Best regards,
Erik