Topic: working with the reference firmware  (Read 8099 times)

rvincentzio March 27, 2013, 02:13 PM

I am working with the reference firmware in Stellar IP, trying to find a method of how to modify the stars in the reference firmware for FMC30RF for KC705. I would appreciate your help on the following:
[/size]1.   Can you provide a simple step by step example of how I work with the firmware in Stellar IP? Example: change the TRF371109 frequency to a different one around 910 MHz, or change the TRX switch to TDD. I see that each star has its documentation that only lists the signals and interfaces.
[/size]2.  At C:\Program Files\4dsp\FMC Board Support Package\Refs\Software\FMC30RF there is a software package documented with Doxygen. How that relates to the firmware stars?
[/size]
[/size]Regards,
[/size]Vincent
[/size]
[/size]
[/size]
[/size]
[/size]
[/size]

arnaudNL March 28, 2013, 07:46 AM (#1)

• 4DSP Staff (EU)
  • Administrator
Dear Vincent,
There is also a ref design description here : http://www.4dsp.com/forum/index.php/topic,1629.0.html
The idea is that the software retrieve base addresses of various STARS in the design and is then able to communication with these stars. Typically fmc30rf_afe7225.cpp module is in charge of configuring the AFE7225 portion of the FMC30RF star.
The star documentation not only contains signal description but also other elements, typically SD111(sip_fmc30rf).pdf contains:
- A high level image showing the star architecture (page 3)
- The complete register map (page 8)
Consult integrated circuit manufacturer in order to understand how to configure a given chip for a given mode.
I hope that helps,
Best Regards,
Arnaud

rvincentzio March 29, 2013, 12:20 PM (#2)

So, in order to modify a star, do I work with the 4FM GUI or with the .cpp files?
Where do I see the associations between the stars in the 4FM GUI and the .cpp files? This shows up in the 4FM GUI?

arnaudNL March 29, 2013, 01:41 PM (#3)

• 4DSP Staff (EU)
  • Administrator
Dear Vincent,
StellarIP creates ISE firmwares.
Reference software as FMC30RFApp are communicating with the firmware over Ethernet.
So if you modify a star, ie adding registers you will need to modify the star in StellarIP but also the reference software in order to use these registers, but I guess this makes sense.
I think you should go through the 4FM Getting Started Guide, especialy chapters 4.9, 5, 6. If after that you are still confused, then forget about StellarIP, as soon you got your ISE project, you can focus on ISE. Then you modify the stars as you want, normal ISE/RTL job. You will then need to write C++ code to support your modifications.
Best Regards,
Arnaud

rvincentzio April 07, 2013, 01:09 AM (#4)

I read the documentation but found no reference to the C++ files. Can you please specify where do I see the references to the C++ files. I mean the files of C:\Program Files\4dsp\FMC Board Support Package\Refs\Software\FMC30RF\Libs.

Is this somewhere in the StellarIP or in the ISE?

Vincent

arnaudNL April 08, 2013, 04:33 AM (#5)

• 4DSP Staff (EU)
  • Administrator
Hello Vincent,
I am sorry but once again I am not sure what you are asking for, are you looking for documentation? The place where the files are referenced is a Visual Studio project and if you are looking for documentation, there is a doxygen in .chm format. You can reach it from the Visual Studio project by double click from the Project Navigator or from you file system "Fmc30RFAPP\doxydoc\html"
Best Regards,
Arnaud

rvincentzio April 16, 2013, 08:36 PM (#6)

Arnaud
I am trying to find out how are the C++ files used, either in the StellarIP stars or in the ISE project. Where do I see the C++ file names in the StellarIP or in the ISE project?

arnaudNL April 17, 2013, 04:04 AM (#7)

• 4DSP Staff (EU)
  • Administrator
Dear Vincent,
The C++ files are used to build a software, the files are to be compiled with Visual Studio. This software communicate with the firmware using Ethernet on the host computer. On the other side you have the firmware running on the hardware and this firmware is built using StellarIP/ISE.
Best Regards,
Arnaud

rvincentzio April 19, 2013, 05:14 PM (#8)

Thanks Arnaud

I use Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 and opened the project C:\Program Files\4dsp\FMC Board Support Package\Refs\Software\FMC30RF\Fmc30RFAPP.vcproj, then "Build Solution" .

It created a Fmc30RFApp.exe in a Debug subdir. I guess this should be identical with the one in C:\Program Files\4dsp\FMC Board Support Package\Bins but they are of different sizes. I am going to check if it executes the command line. Is there anything else that I should set up in the Visual C++?

arnaudNL April 22, 2013, 04:45 AM (#9)

• 4DSP Staff (EU)
  • Administrator
Vincent,
Same as with firmware, try to compare size and content of two .bit file and be suprised it will always be different.
Best Regards,
Arnaud